Some time ago Instagram allowed its users to follow any hashtag they want which made it lot easier to keep track of favorite hashtags, topics, conversations and communities. I, for example, use it to track posts with my all-time favorite Cannondale Supersix road bike. Unfortunately, the users of other social media platforms aren’t that lucky.
As Instagram let users track hashtags on their platform, the users of other social media networks might look at it with a twinge of envy – at the moment, there’s no way to follow a hashtag neither on Facebook nor on Twitter within these platforms.
Luckily, there’s a way out – web and social media monitoring tools come to rescue and Among them, there’s Brand24 – one of Buffer’s best social media monitoring tools.
To address the need of Twitter users, I prepared a guide how to both follow a hashtag on Twitter using Brand24 and other tools.
How to follow a hashtag on Twitter: the least effective way
As I mentioned earlier, there’s no official way to follow a hashtag on Twitter – you can follow them either manually or via column-based tracking tools.
To be honest, following a hashtag manually is a terrible idea. Here’s what you need to do:
- Go to Twitter Search.
- Type in your hashtag including the hashtag sign.
- Refresh that page every now and then to follow your hashtag.
Sounds like a terrible idea, right? Twitter leaves no other option.
How to follow a hashtag on Twitter: the less effective way
There’s a few Twitter management tools, however, none of them has been designed for tracking specific Twitter hashtags. A slightly less backbreaking way to keep track of your hashtag is to use a column-based tool, for example, Tweetdeck.
Tweetdeck is a solid Twitter management tool, however, following Twitter hashtags isn’t its strongest point but here’s how to do it:
- Click on the + sign in the panel at the left-hand side.
- Choose Search.
- Type in your hashtag with the # sign.
- Voila! Tweetdeck just created a column with recent tweets containing your hashtag.
How to follow a hashtag on Twitter: the effective way
While the before-mentioned solutions might be just fine for regular users who don’t need in-depth hashtag performance insights, they could too too simple for companies, brands and people who like to see numbers about their hashtags.
If you’re one of them, Brand24 will satisfy your needs.
Brand24 is a web and social media monitoring tool that supports hashtag following not only for Twitter but also Instagram and Facebook. You can easily follow hashtags on Twitter in real time, get immediately notified and dig into data about their performance.
Here’s what you can learn about your hashtags from Brand24:
- Volume of mentions: number of tweets containing your hashtags over a specific period of time
- Engagement: number likes, retweets, comments
- Sentiment: sentiment analysis of tweets mentioning your hashtags
- Social media reach: social media reach of all tweets containing your hashtags
- Metrics of influence: most influential Twitter profiles using your hashtags
- Trending hashtags: top 100 most popular hashtags used with your hashtags
What’s more, there’s a couple of ways you can receive new tweets mentioning your hashtags.
- Dashboard: all tweets with your hashtag arrive there
- Email notifications: you can set email notifications to notify you about new tweets immediately or after some time
- Mobile app: push notifications will inform you about new tweets the moment they are posted
If you think it’s cool, let’s have a look how you can start following your Twitter hashtags.
1. Create your free Brand24 account.
Click here to create a free account. No credit card required!
2. Create a project to follow your Twitter hashtag.
In the project creation wizard enter your hashtag(s) including the hashtag sign.
Click More settings, then Sources, then check only Twitter.
Now we’re setting up email notifications. Go to Notifications tab and click Add more notifications.
A pop-up will appear. Choose Email address, Frequency and click Save. now you’ll receive notifications about new tweets containing your hashtag to your inbox.
Now you’ll receive email notifications about new tweets containing your hashtag to your inbox.
3. Go to Mentions tab to browse your tweets.
Apart from the email notifications you’ve just set, you can see your hashtag mentions inside the Mentions tab – they arrive there in real time.
4. Go to Analysis tab to learn about the performance of your hashtags.
This is where you can discover what I talked about before – metrics of engagement, volume, social media reach, influence or other trending hashtags.
This is the heart of your project. Here you can find plenty of data about the performance of your hashtags!
5. Set up Slack notifications.
If your company uses Slack to communicate on a daily basis, you can follow your Twitter hashtags in a dedicated Slack channel!
Here’s how to get it done.
Inside your hashtag project, go to Account settings.
Choose your project with the monitored hashtag and choose the filter you created to receive email notifications.
Once you click Add Slack integration, Brand24 will redirect you to Slack’s website where you’ll choose one of your Slack channels to receive all tweets mentioning your hashtag.
This is what it looks like: