With Twitter, Instagram and Facebook analytics lacking the capacity to monitor hashtag performance, hashtag tracking tools are becoming more and more popular these days. Let’s have a look at free hashtag tracking tools.
Tracking hashtag performance may come in handy on a couple of occasions:
- To measure social media reach of your hashtag and its mentions.
- To measure the engagement around your hashtag.
- To spot most influential and active sources that mention your hashtag
- To learn who and where shares your content.
- To measure the performance of hashtag marketing campaign
Here’s a short video that explains how to track your hashtag:
There’s plenty of tools to monitor hashtag performance. In this blog post, we’ll discuss 5 best hashtag tracking tools.
It’s a social media monitoring tool that supports social media and hashtag analytics.
It monitors and analyzes your hashtag mentions across social media, websites, blogs, discussion forums and other publicly available sources online.
Brand24 will let you monitor your hashtags on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook fanpages.
In fact, what’s more important, hashtag monitoring is just one feature of Brand24 – the tool allows you not only to monitor but also to analyze hashtag performance.
The Analysis tab inside the tool offers plenty of data that will present you with a better picture of the situation.
Some of the most important metrics you should focus on are the number of mentions, estimated social media reach and the number of interactions.
Using Brand24, you can also monitor the engagement the mentions of your hashtag generate, including comments, likes or shares.
The most active and influential mentions give you an opportunity to identify people who use your hashtag the most. Are there any influential social media users talking about your hashtag? Has an influential website been talking about your hashtag campaign? It’s all here + more!
Brand24 is a paid tool, starting $49, however, it has a free 14-day trial period. You can give it a try here.
Another awesome tool that lets you monitor hashtag performance is RiteTag which is a part of RiteKit. It’s a great tool for monitoring what hashtags are currently trending.
RiteTag provides plenty of data, including Estimated Hourly Statistics, Daily Averages, popular accounts using a hashtag and more. The tool also suggests trending hashtags that increase discoverability and exposure, tell which hashtags get seen over time and which hashtags are becoming less popular.
The tool has also a browser extension which indicates if hashtags you want to use are trending, have some potential or not at all.
The free version of RiteTag has a limited range of options. The yearly subscription costs $49.
Keyhole is a social media analytics tool that gives the opportunity to monitor hashtag performance on Twitter and Instagram. The tool returns plenty of data, including reach, the number of posts and users, impressions and more.
Keyhole has also account-level analytics and the Optimization feature analyzes hashtag performance of a given account. It’s a good way to find out if given hashtags work in terms of engagement. What’s more, the tool suggests how to improve your post strategy and optimize post length, or timing.
What’s quite convenient is that the most related hashtags are represented as a tag cloud. It clearly presents the bigger picture.
The tool offers a free trial period. Pricing plans start at $132 monthly, billed annually.
Similarly to RiteTag, Hashtagify lets you discover the most trending hashtags and other hashtags relevant to them. There are not many free hashtag monitoring tools out there, but Hashtagify is certainly one of them. Here’s what it looks like exactly.
In the basic mode, Hashtagify presents relevant hashtag in a bubble. By hovering over a hashtag, the tool displays data about popularity and correlation from the main hashtag. There’s also the Advanced mode which allows digging deeper into related hashtags, or Table mode showing popularity, weekly trends or correlation.
The above-mentioned features are free of cost. However, paid version of Hashtagify offers a lot more with a subscription starting at $9.99.
Our last tool to monitor hashtag performance comes particularly useful in the case of Twitter chats. The tool allows tracking hashtags and joining Twitter chats.
The tool has directories that allow aggregating hashtag relevant to a given topic, for example, business, conferences, events and so on so forth. You can also register your hashtag and create a hashtag landing page displaying conversations from the Twitter chat.
The tool is completely free!
The Science of Hashtag Tracking
Hashtag tracking is important for a number of reasons.
- It’s a super important aspect of event marketing: A dedicated event hashtag allows identifying and engaging people using it in real time. This way, you can find participants in the need of assistance, initiate networking, gather feedback, measure the social media reach of your event hashtag and more.
- It allows measuring your brand awareness through social media reach: If your company uses a dedicated hashtag, you can monitor how it performs in social media: how many people mention it, where does it appear most frequently, what the social media reach and engagement are and more. Combining all of them will give you an idea of how your company is perceived online.
- It lets you track and analyze your marketing campaigns: It’s good to create dedicate hashtags that will support your marketing campaigns. Then, you can easily measure its social media impact by looking at the number of mentions, engagement, influential sources mentioning your hashtag.
- It helps in identifying potential brand advocates for your business: By looking at the most active and influential authors, you can find your potential brand ambassadors. They can recommend your product to their audience.
- It analyzes the context of discussions that accompany your hashtag:
This one gives you an instant insight into a broader context your hashtag is used in. It displays most frequently appearing words in relation to your hashtag.
- It shows the sentiment of mentions containing your hashtag: It’s a language filter that shows you positive, negative and neutral mentions.
You don’t have to visit each social media platform and manually look for your hashtag mentions – in Brand24, you can browse all of them in one place.
Free Hashtag Tracking Analytics
If you want to monitor hashtag performance, you can give a try to Brand24. It’s absolutely free.
Other, hashtag-related posts you might find interesting:
- How to Count the Number of Tweets for a Specific Hashtag
- How to Find Trending Hashtags on Instagram
- How to Track Hashtag Performance on Facebook: Reach, Engagement, Influence +More