Philips Lighting managed to boost online traffic on their social platforms, increase the number of followers by almost 1.5 thousand and reach to almost 5 million Internet users. And it all happened within just a few days!
The brand did not use any magic tricks, but smartly employed social media during The Festival of Kinetic Art of Light – a three-day event when all the streets in Lodz were set aglow with multimedia 2D and 3D video projections, laser shows, artistic light installations and architectural illuminations. Read the whole case study and take a leaf out of Philips Lighting’s book.
Few Words of Introduction
The Festival of Kinetic Art of Light is organized yearly by “Lux Pro Monumentis” Foundation in Lodz, Poland. The main street in the city changes into a charming lane illuminated with artistic light installations. It attracts thousands of people year in, year out and LMF 2014, the fourth edition hosted half a million people. It took place at the second weekend of October 2014.
Philips Lighting as the strategic sponsor of LMF, rose to the challenge and provided participants with different kinds of entertainment. The company turned the ordinary street into a illuminated colorful lane filled with numerous attractions.
The brand itself was ambitious in the case of goals to achieve. They aimed to:
- Increase engagement on Philips Lighting social media profiles
- Drive online traffic to the brand’s digital channels
- Increase social media reach of content related to the brand
- Improve brand image
SPECIAL HASHTAGS. Socialyse encouraged attendees to post content with specially created hashtag #cityoflight (#miastoswiatla). Philips, Socialyse and Clipatize also invited the city authorities and other influential users to the Social Newsroom to increase the impact of the campaign.
HASHBOARD. All mentions related to the event were gathered through social media monitoring and then displayed on a special hashboard.
LIVE COVERAGE IN SOCIAL MEDIA. Socialyse and Clipatizeprovidedlive coverage of the event in a specially prepared Social Newsroom. They published content in a real time on social media platforms.
SOCIAL NEWSROOM. All activities were operated from the Social Newsroom, which was located in the heart of the event.
Thanks to all the activities the brand managed to transfer half-million-people attendance into enormous online traffic. Over 3 thousand mentions with #cityoflight were collected and 13% of them also included Philips Lighting. These results reached to almost 5 million people and the brand gained 1,430 fans. I guess all the activities that the agency and the brand conducted were worth the effort.
4 Takeaways from the Case Study
1. Internet users eagerly join an online conversation during an event they take part in. They enjoy combining online and offline activities the same time.
2. Hashboard with a social stream attracts users to post in their social media. Often users will post something only to check if their status appear on a screen.
3. Hashtags are very powerful tool for content marketing. Social media users love hashtags and they use them in plenty.
4. Influential social media users may help you in increasing an impact of your event. It is good to invite them to cooperation.