26 Instagram Metrics and Instagram Analysis Tools to Track Them
Instagram analysis doesn’t need to be complicated. Indeed, analysis might sound terrifying or spark some traumatic memories of tools full of numbers, charts, tables and bad user interface, but no worries – Instagram analysis tools don’t have to follow this path.
In this blog post, you’ll learn about Instagram data analysis.
Instagram is a powerful medium and a good weapon of choice for marketers working with Instagram influencers, in the restaurant industry, fashion industry and any other industry strongly relying on visuals.
But let’s stick to the analysis part. The benefits of analytics are outstanding. Just to remind you:
- Get to know your target audience: Customers are essential for any business: without them, no business can do well. What’s key here, is knowing who your customer is. Spending resources on wrong target audience doesn’t make any sense. No money can change the opinion of consumers who don’t need your product or service.
- Track growth: Analytics show how you perform. Keeping an eye on your social media marketing performance will show if you grow, at what pace, where and where how to scale it. What’s even more important here, analytics shows what doesn’t work.
- Set goals: results indicate strengths and weaknesses. They show areas of your marketing you need to concentrate on more.
- Keep an eye on your competitors: some tools that work for you can as well become your competitor analysis tools.
You can similarly analyze Instagram.
There’s plenty of Instagram metrics you can track to monitor your performance there.
Below I listed 26 metrics to help you handle analytics on Instagram. I know it’s a lot but stay calm: there’s no need to track all of them – I listed them just to give you an idea of what you can analyze on Instagram. What you track depends on your goals.
Let’s get to it:
- Follower count: The number of Instagram profiles that follow your account.
- Social media reach: The number of Instagram profiles that might have come across your Instagram post.
- Profile views: The number of times your Instagram profile was viewed.
- Website clicks: The number of link clicks in your profile bio.
- Posts: The number of Instagram posts you published.
- Social mentions: The number of mentions of your Instagram handle or hashtags.
- Hashtags: The number of your hashtags mentions by Instagram profiles.
- Gender: Gender distribution of your followers.
- Age: Age distribution.
- Locations: The most popular locations where your followers come from.
- Followers / hours: Top hours your followers the most active.
- Followers / days: Top days your followers are most active.
- Social media reach of a post: The number of Instagram profiles that might have come across your post.
- Likes: The number of profiles that liked your post
- Comments: The number of profiles that commented your post.
- Saved: The number of profiles that saved your post.
- Post engagement: The number of all interactions (likes, comments) your post generated.
- Views: The number of views your video got
- Stories impressions: The number of views your Insta Story got.
- Stores exits: The number of times Instagram users exited your story
- Stores replies: The number of times Instagram users replied to your Insta Story.
- Live viewers: The number of profiles that saw your Instagram live.
- Viewers: The overall number of profiles that saw your Instagram live at any time.
Instagram has an in-built analytics that will show you the basic performance of your Instagram.
To access it, you need to switch to the Business Profile. Here’s a quick and easy guide to doing so:
Inside your profile, go to Settings.
Tap Switch to Business Profile.
Now you need to connect your Facebook Page with your Instagram Business Profile. Choose a Facebook profile from the list and connect with it.
While on the Set Up Your Business Profile Page, review your information, adjust if necessary and tap Done.
Now, while on your profile, an additional icon will appear in the upper-right corner of your profile. This is where you can access your Instagram Insights. Important: Instagram Insights are available only from the mobile!
Inside, you get some basic analytics for Instagram.
This is where you get all the basic information about the performance of your Instagram profile within one week:
- The number of interactions
- Reach for your account
- Profile views
- Website clicks
- Call / email clicks
- Top Posts
Furthermore, you see Top Posts. In there, you see six best-performing posts from the last week. To learn more about the performance of your top posts, click See More. You can also adjust your data — tap on “Showing All posted in the past 7 days sorted by impressions” — then, you can adjust three bolded parameters:
- All, photos, or videos
- Impressions, Reach, Engagement, Likes, Comments, or video Views
- 7 days, 30 days, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, or 2 years
Another part of Instagram Insights is about Instagram Stories — here you discover how your stories performed. Just like with Top Posts, you can adjust your filters by:
- Impressions, Reach, Exits, or Replies
- 24 hours, 7 days, or 14 days
In the next section, you get insights about your followers, including times when your followers are most active. After clicking See More, you can discover even more insights, such as:
- Follower count
- Gender distribution
- Age range distribution
- Top locations
- Followers activity
The last section is important only if you’re running Instagram ads. What’s important, Instagram ads can be also monitored in your Facebook Ads Manager